I’m over at Teaching Tolerance today talking about Day of the Girl and the events at our school:
I was shocked that for these girls under 18 and dedicated to talking about pertinent girls’ issues, it could be unclear why we needed a Day of the Girl. I started doing some research. My students and I were all astounded by the statistics I found:
- In developing countries, 1 in 7 girls marry before age 15. About 1 in 2 girls will become a mother by the age of 18.
- Also in developing countries, the leading cause of death for girls between the ages of 15 and 19 is complications due to early pregnancy.
- In the United States, 54 percent of third- through fifth-grade girls and 78 percent of high school girls worry about their appearance.
- About 7 in 10 girls between ages 15 and 17 who give birth in the United States drop out of high school.
- Each year, about a third of teenage girls in the U.S. report experiencing physical abuse from someone they’re dating.
Read the whole post here!
Image Credit: Day of the Girl Summit